- To Evi
- Don't cry my friend
- If you're unhappy with long and painful sighs
- Don't lament the end
- for ends are always new beginnings.
- Don't feel sorry for the past
- Do learn, we need to learn fast.
- the way to amend bad ends is to make amends.
- ...and move on.
- To Jeannette
- You have a little girl
- such a bright and happy little girl.
- Do teach her well and she will grow
- to love you so, basking in the warm glow,
- of love and loves greatest rewards
- Try too hard to hold her in her grasp
- and she will go
- Try to hold her too hard
- and you will never know, why you lost her.
Chris Holte, 1982
In the early 80's I tried to help a woman and her child who lived in East Germany, Dresden. I believe this poem was written thinking of them.