The Shoulders That Raised us
- We live on the shoulders of those who raised us up.
- How can we turn around and hold other people down?
- Today the sun will set, but tomorrow another one will rise,
- We pass by as other eyes open and "I" live on.
- Here a whisper lingers, and "I" hear an whispering song.
- I swear I hear the voice of a dear departed love echoing on.
- I have to stop and admire the singing in the trees.
- the doves making their cries, leaves rustling high above.
- And though my heart can only bear,
- so much rising and departing,
- still those voices echo an eternity in this moment.
- and I see a vision of a single finger,
- saying "shush my darling sleep."
- "I am at ease and all your fears can keep."
Christopher Hartly Holte
This from August 14 2011