Monday, June 3, 2019

Commitment

Today we committed my mom to the Columbarium at the Naval Academy. As the Chaplain said "she may not have served in the service directly, but as “wife of” she served her country. My mom now has her ashes box sitting on top of my Dad's ashes. A milestone in the lives of all her family, who are my family, has been reached. We had most of the various sub-clans of my family represented. My Sister Kathy, her son and her grandchildren & great grans. My sister Susan and her two daughters and also people she had helped. My Daughter, my Ex Wife and her husband. My Brother Carl and a representation of all his relatives. We are missing Andy, whose untimely death precipitated all this. We are missing her Sister Aunt Patty, Patricia Winters ne Carpenter. But we have my cousin Mike and his companion Robert. It was a bitter sweet moment. My Grandfather Truman E Carpenter is in the memorial to lost Naval Officers. He was class of 1932. He died in 1939 when my mom was 2. A part of my mom, my grandma, is connected to him and his loss at sea somewhere off the coast of California. My Dad was class of '55. My Mom married my Dad, today, in 1955.

Good bye Mom And Dad

For more see:
https://holtesthoughts.blogspot.com/2019/03/sally-ann-holte-mom.html

Text of letter from my Cousin Benjamin Hyde

Hi Kathy, Carl, Susan, Chris – your mom was and is an amazingly awesome part of my family history. I hold lots of affection for her. Earliest memories come in Annapolis. Granddad and Grandma lived there also. [My Great Grandfather also Benjamin Hyde] There were stories of a pet mouse that got loose [in the house], and Granddad announced the presence of rat poison in the house – followed by tears. There was also a pet dog named Toto...a light brown mongrel as I remember and loved by all.

I imagine the tears were my mom's but it could also have been my Aunt Patty (her sister) and Grandma Carpenter. I remember stories of Toto. We had another Dog named Toto, who was a pure breed collie and probably was named after her. I may remember pictures of the first Toto too. This would have been the early 40s, probably during WWII. Continued ...

Shipwright Street was a steep sloping street. For some reason I remember dinner there and my grandmother's side dish called "chow-chow," kind of a relish. The house sat on a hill overlooking Spa Creek. It had a huge back yard that went down into the water.

I remember meals with great-grandmother (his grandmother) too. I don't remember "chow-chow." Wish I did. Wonder if anyone has the recipe.

There were several other places they lived. One was on Poplar avenue near railroad tracks. I believe your mom went to Germantown school. The house there also housed a huge cabinet/hutch against one of the walls. I think your Mom's Dad [Truman Carpenter] made it.

My Grandfather must have built the hutch. He also built Mom and Aunt Patty a really nice doll house/play house, that they used a lot when they were young.

I remember the 3rd floor apartment (with open screened back porch) on Maryland Avenue right next to the Naval Academy's main gate. The window looked down on Maryland Avenue traffic. That was probably where they lived when your mom met your Dad. I do remember Pat [Aunt Patty, mom's sister] and Jim [Winters, future husband] being together there when I dropped by after school.

My Mom, Grandmom, and Aunt Patty, were the girls profiled in “An Officer and a Gentleman” and did indeed snag midshipmen.

My Grandmother [Uncle Ben's Wife's Mom] owned a beach place in South River Park near Edgewater. Your Grandmother, mom and sister would come down for a weekend to swim and enjoy the “beach”. I remember the sisters [Mom and Aunt Patty] were impressed with a boy from up on the hill and spent time discussing him ... made me blush.

I can imagine the three of them deliberately teasing him. But there was a serious side too:

Lots of memories of a special lady. I traipsed around the world for a spell, but when I came back to Annapolis I would check in. I was a tad surprised to learn of her adventures and coming to sobriety. Through it all she came close to and helped a bunch. Life has its challenges. She seemed to meet them with huge tenacity.

Not sure what the following means.

The Hill House also stands out as they cared for her Mom...and raised snakes.

He closes nicely:

I really appreciate the letter you wrote about Sally. Lots of memories. The latest for me was because of you, Kathy, bringing her to Annapolis for lunch on her birthday. That was very special. Thank you. Come to Texas and stay a spell.

He signs it:

Ben and Doris

This was such a nice letter I thought I'd transcribe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment