Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Out the Door

I walked out the door
and wandered into the night
I looked up at a star far away
and felt alone

Above me twinkled the lights
Images tell me they are suns
children of other nights
so far away, also alone.

Don’t fill the world with fear
We don’t have enough years
to live all our dreams,
life is fearful enough
why live the nightmares?

I don’t know today
How can I know tomorrow?
When we have each other
why hold onto sorrow?

The nights are dark, the nights are cold
inside it is warm,
let us stretch our muscles, warm our hearts
don’t let them burn like aching coals.

Old wounds remind us of too much foolishness.
But old pleasures comfort.
Old aches tell us we are still here.
I ache therefore I am.
You are my love,
I am a Descartes of Pain
We get used to it.
We hurt therefore we are alive.

We get used to it.
The illusions never hold,
unless they are skillful.
I’m getting old.

Chris, written in early summer, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment